LT EN

Library

Main page   »   For visitors   »   Library

Scientific library

Working hours:
from 1 May to 31 October
Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
From 1 November to 30 April
Tuesdays to Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
(the museum in closed on Sundays and Mondays)

Žemaičiai Art Museum, which was founded in 1994 instead of a former Contstruction Technical School operating in the Oginskiai Manor, took over a small library with encyclopaedia, dictionaries, history, geography, language science, literature critics and fiction. From the very first days of its establishment the museum started collecting valuable art, culture, history and archaeology publications.
At present, the scientific library has collected over 10,000 publications – art and photography albums, culture, history and archaeology, land exploration, museology, religious publications, dictionaries, encyclopaedias, fiction literature.
The scientific library also collects a fund of old printings, the basis of which are the old printings bought by the collectioner Juozapas Kikilas (about 250 printings) and granted to the museum by Danutė Malakauskienė, head of Plungės Cultural Divisions. Part of the fund is composed of a collection from printings from the period when printing were forbidden (1864–1904), also fiction, historical and other type of literature and periodical publications issued in the inter-war period.